Hundreds Of Greek Seamen Unpaid For Months
On the Theofilos, Thanassis and others were refusing to work until back pay was disbursed. The company is still contractually obliged to feed them and provide power.
But for Dimitri, a deck hand on a ferry under repair in the ship repair area of Perama, near Piraeus, there was only power â¿¿ and therefore heating and running water â¿¿ between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. After that, the ferry engines were turned off, plunging the ship into freezing darkness and leaving Dimitri with only layers of clothes and blankets to ward off the cold and damp as he slept on the ship.
Unpaid for more than two months, Dimitri had nowhere else to go because his home is in a town in the northeastern part of the Peloponnese, more than 120 kilometers (75 miles) south of Athens.
"My finances don't allow me to get to the other ships in port where they have hot food and power," he said. "So I sleep here."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV