- Medical Device Patent Volume Rises: The largest increase in patent activity over the prior period was in the medical device technology area, which grew by 15.7 percent, a reinforcement of the importance of these inventions in addressing health issues of the world's exploding population.
- Food, Tobacco, & Beverage Fermentation Innovation Sees Largest Subsector Increases: The sub-categories under the technology area of Food, Tobacco & Beverage Fermentation saw the largest subsector increases across all areas. Tobacco-related innovation sparked up 58 percent and sugar-related inventions were sweetened 56 percent, as manufacturers of these goods seek alternative pathways to profit.
- Japan Most Active Country in Asia Pacific Region: Japan had the greatest representation amongst the top 10 assignees of the featured subsectors in the Asia Pacific region. China, despite being the world leader in overall patent filing volume, holds 27 of the top 120 assignee slots, whereas Japan has 67 of them.
- Computers & Peripherals - a Leader and Follower: The technology area with the largest overall volume continues to be Computers & Peripherals, for the fourth consecutive year, with a volume of 232,549 filings in 2012. Within this area, the subcategory of Computers inched ahead 3 percent (to a total of 201,608 filings), whereas scanners experienced a 34 percent decline over the prior period, as this technology becomes more obsolete.
Patent Trends 2012: Thomson Reuters Evaluates The State Of Global Innovation
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.