Technical analysis is all fine and good. It's not my bag, but I respect those who are good at it. But the one thing the best of the best always tell me -- it doesn't mix with emotion.
I'm not sure what an "ABC Corrective Wave" is, but that's what Varitimos, who runs the AppleInvestor blog, sees on the chart as AAPL bottoms and prepares to take off. Of course, it's not a perfect ABC Corrective Wave because, as Varitimos notes, "Normally the A wave equals the C wave, but in this case the C wave has truncated, turning up just short of the ideal formation."
OK. I dig. You can make the chart sing for you just like researchers with their data and pollsters with their statistics.
Ernie is a self-proclaimed "Apple Evangelist." He anchors his blog with a
YouTube video tribute to Steve Jobs. And technical analysis tells him to set a price target of $1,600 for AAPL by the end of 2014.
I'm guessing he would argue that emotion never enters the equation. That we ought to draw a distinction between what the chart objectively tells him from his "evangelizing." I'm certain that's how he feels. Certain that emotion has zero influence on his quantitative analysis. But, really, isn't that the cornerstone of emotion? That, at our most emotional points, we're unable to sense the impact psychology has on our cognitive output? Maybe Ernie is correct. Maybe Apple will knock public opinion on its ass and soar 203% between over the next 21 months. Maybe. But I'm not sure I would load up on the LEAPS call options or even the common stock just yet. Leave some money on the table. Make sure the anticipated run is real. There's plenty of room between $461 and $1,600. Follow @rocco_thestreet -- Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV