Carpenters Union Calls On USGA To Hire Local Tradespeople
ARDMORE, Pa., March 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners today called on sponsors of the U.S. Open to hire local tradespeople and halt the practice of importing workers and paying substandard wages in preparing for the men's national golf championship slated for June.
Edward C. Coryell, executive secretary/business manager of the Carpenters' Metropolitan Regional Council of Philadelphia & Vicinity, said it is "unconscionable" that the United States Golf Association would snub local people for the work undertaken at Merion Golf Club.
"It's a poor reflection on one of the best golf courses in the world, as well as the outstanding companies who are the primary sponsors of this event," Coryell said. "They've brought in out-of-state, mostly temp workers, and they're paying them substandard wages with little or no benefits. It's a slap in the face to the entire region to not use skilled, local tradespeople."
Coryell noted that in turning its back on the local workforce, the USGA is alienating a significant proportion of the local fan base."It's hard to afford tickets when you're not working," Coryell said. "But it's not too late to make things right. We'll give the USGA a mulligan." "This is the Main Line, not California or Virginia or Mexico," Coryell said. "We live in this community, we pay taxes, our kids attend school here, and we support businesses that hire and pay fair wages to local workers." He said Union members are protesting at the site and have fanned out in the surrounding communities to pass out flyers urging people to call Frank Bussey, director of U.S. Open operations, and urge him to hire local tradespeople. SOURCE United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV