The sole negative setup today comes from shares of banking giant JPMorgan Chase (JPM). JPMorgan has been rallying alongside the rest of the financial sector for the last year and change, pushing to new 52-week highs as recently as early March. But now, JPM is starting to look "toppy" thanks to the early stages of a head and shoulders pattern forming in shares.
The head and shoulders is a price pattern that indicates exhaustion among buyers. The pattern is formed by two swing highs that top out around the same level (the shoulders), separated by a bigger peak called the head; the sell signal comes on the breakdown below the pattern's "neckline" level, which is right below $47. While the size of the pattern indicates that it's likely to be more of a correction than an outright bloodbath in JPM's shares, it's definitely worth heeding for investors who've been considering buying into this stock's recent rally.
Momentum adds some extra confirmation to the downside setup in shares of JPM -- 14-day RSI saw its uptrend get broken back in early February, when the left shoulder started forming. Since momentum is a leading indicator of price, that doesn't bode well for shares. Still, I'd only recommend actively betting against shares if we see the breakdown below $47 happen. Otherwise, a move above $51 cancels out the bearish potential in JPM.To see this week's trades in action, check out the Technical Setups for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr.-- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV