PALO ALTO, Calif., March 26, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Just how distracting are unnecessary emails and chatty coworkers in the workplace? A new survey from Jive Software, Inc. (Nasdaq:JIVE) found nearly four out of every five workers (79 percent) in the U.S. spend time during their workday checking emails when that time could be used towards something more productive. And, more than one-third of workers (36 percent) say the people they work with are their biggest distraction on the job.
An infographic accompanying this release is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=17799
Here is a by-the-numbers look at key findings from the Jive survey:Time Wasted by American Workers on Email When They Could Be Doing Something More Productive:
- 79 percent say they waste time checking emails
- 18 percent spend more than a quarter of their workday checking irrelevant emails.
- On average, American workers employed full time, part-time or self-employed spend 16 percent of a workday checking irrelevant email.
- 36 percent of employed Americans said coworkers are their biggest distraction at work.
- 20 percent said email was their biggest distraction during the workday.
- 19 percent said that meetings are the most distracting during the workday.
- Close to half (48 percent) of employed Americans report working when on vacation.
- Almost one fifth (19 percent) of employed Americans are more overwhelmed by technology at work now compared to five years ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV