STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich., March 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- General Dynamics Land Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), has been awarded a $25.7 million contract to produce eight MK46 30mm Naval Weapon Systems for the U.S. Navy for use on San Antonio-class (LPD-17) ships and the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) class.
The MK46 30mm Naval Weapon System is an all-weather, day/night, fully stabilized weapon system. Its lightweight, modular and compact size makes it an ideal candidate for numerous anti-surface and anti-air defense applications. The system's family of turrets represents a balance of lethality, performance, reliability and versatility, and it is one of the most cost-effective medium-caliber weapon systems. General Dynamics has delivered 30 MK46 systems to the Navy since 2005. It is the main deck gun for LPD-17 ships and is the secondary gun battery for Littoral Combat Ships.
Work will be performed by the existing workforce at General Dynamics Land Systems facilities in Woodbridge, Va.; Tallahassee, Fla.; Lima, Ohio; Westminster, Md.; Sterling Heights, Mich.; and Scranton, Pa. Deliveries are scheduled to begin in September 2014.
"General Dynamics Land Systems is committed to providing cost-effective mission-critical products and services to the Navy's surface warfare fleet," said Michael Bolon, senior vice president, U.S. Marine Corps and Navy business sector at General Dynamics Land Systems. "The MK46 gun system's open architecture software supports stand-alone and integrated variants for multiple uses and maximum flexibility."For information about General Dynamics Land Systems, please visit www.gdls.com. More information about General Dynamics is available online at www.generaldynamics.com. SOURCE General Dynamics Land Systems
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV