- Bank rolls out coin counters in branches across the country -
TORONTO, March 26, 2013 /CNW/ - The majority of Canadians (69%) actively avoid paying with change and likely have jars of it at home. For consumers keen to cash in their coins, without the hassle of sorting and rolling, TD Canada Trust offers 300 solutions. The bank is installing more than 300 automatic coin counter machines in branches across Canada this year, building the biggest coin counter network across any financial institution in the country.
"Our commitment to comfortable banking means we constantly look for opportunities to raise the bar in customer service," said Diana Morrone, Vice President, Retail Solutions, TD Canada Trust. "From longer hours to Sunday banking, this national network of coin counters is our latest way to deliver on this promise."
With so many available payment options beyond cash, customers are using coins very differently than they were 25 years ago, making it more common to have piles of change at home. TD Canada Trust's research shows that today's consumers avoid using change because they prefer to pay with debit or credit (40%), they don't like to carry change (23%) and it takes too long to count out at the cashier (17%). Even if they aren't paying with it, almost all Canadians (96%) have an idea of how much change they have at home, and a quarter (27%) admitted to having at least $50 in change.Along with an easy way to deposit that spare change, TD Canada Trust also offers advice on how to get the most of that extra cash:
- Pay down that credit card: If financial goals include tackling credit card debt, apply it to the balance. Even small amounts can make a big difference over time
- Open an RESP: Put those pennies to good use and start saving for a child's education. Every little bit counts, especially when taking advantage of compound interest
- Start that vacation fund: Open a high interest savings account and commit to depositing a set amount monthly. Those small amounts will quickly add up
- Make an extra annual mortgage payment: Small change can make a big difference applied to a mortgage. An extra $50 from the couch cushions each year could save hundreds in interest over a mortgage's lifetime
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts