OAKLAND, Calif., March 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Today Dictionary.com ( www.dictionary.com), the preferred online and mobiledictionary for students and professionals, announced the release of Thesaurus Rex by Dictionary.com, now available for iPhone and iPad. The app is the latest addition to Dictionary.com's growing collection of fun, useful and educational resources, and will complement an online version which is set to launch in May 2013.
Thesaurus Rex by Dictionary.com offers the first significant upgrade to any thesaurus in more than a century. "Because the English language is so dynamic, most people would be shocked to learn how static the world's thesauri have been – there hasn't been a substantive update to any major thesaurus in about 160 years," said David Wygant, VP of Product, Dictionary.com. "A re-envisioned thesaurus is long-overdue, and Dictionary.com is thrilled to offer it."
Instead of searching for synonyms in the traditional manner, writers can sort words by relevance, complexity and length, making it much easier to find that "perfect word." Additionally, in May Dictionary.com will add more than 500 words to its thesaurus which currently cannot be found in any online or print thesaurus.
Thesaurus Rex places the most up-to-date collection of synonyms and antonyms at the fingertips of students, writers, grammarians and people seeking just the right term with features such as:
- Relevance: rank synonyms and discover the "best match" based on how closely a term's sense matches with the sense of the word you searched.
- Complexity: sort synonyms based on their difficulty, adjusting the filter to either simplify or peruse terms that are more difficult, unusual or complex.
- Length: filter synonyms based on character count – perfect for writing sparse advertising copy, lengthening an essay, or scaling to the specified length of any project.
- Favorites: create your own unique lists of favorite synonyms, so you don't have to keep looking up the same word.
- Examples & Tips: avoid common mistakes with usage notes and example sentences.
- Word Origin & History: access important context and background on the words you search.
- Rhymes & Syllables: enrich poetry and song lyrics with a comprehensive rhyming dictionary that allows you to sort by exact number of syllables.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV