NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The Dow Industrial Average contains 30 brand named companies, of which 14 are buy-rated according to ValuEngine. Today I profile the 12 buy-rated names that are not in the consumer staples sector. These, plus the two I profiled on Monday, are buy-and-trade candidates, and represent what I consider core holdings in allocating a maximum of 50% of investible funds in the U.S. stock market.
On March 18, in 12 Sell Downgrades Threaten Dow Transports, my suggested allocation to this sector was reduced to zero as a source of funds, as there were no buy-rated stocks in this sector.
On March 19, in Sell Downgrades Weaken Homebuilder Foundations, my suggested allocation to the homebuilders was also reduced to zero, as a source of funds. This strategy expanded to the entire construction sector on March 21, in Sell-Rated Stocks a Source Of Funds.
Today, www.ValuEngine.com shows that 63.7% of all stocks are overvalued, just below the 65.0% ValuEngine Valuation Warning threshold.The six sectors represented by the 14 buy-rated Dow stocks are overvalued: computer & technology by 15.6%; consumer staples by 26.1%; medical by 11.5%; multi-sector conglomerates by 9.1%; retail-wholesale by 17.5%; and utilities by 13.0%. Among today's 12 Dow stocks, nine are trading above their 200-day simple moving averages (SMA), while three are below, so the risk of a reversion to this mean remains evident. Within the Dow P/E ratios are reasonable with the 12-month trailing P/E ratios between 10.2 and 21.4.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV