Navigant Research announced today that it has released the annual BTM wind report International Wind Energy Development: World Market Update 2012 . The 180+ page BTM wind report, World Market Update 2012, published by Navigant Research, is the eighteenth edition of this annual wind energy market report. The report includes more than 80 tables, charts and graphs illustrating global wind market development, as well as a wind market forecast for 2013-2017 and highlighted trends for the wind market through 2022.
The report delivers several views on the fast‐growing wind market, including:
- More than 285 GW of wind power now installed globally
- 45 GW of new capacity added in 2012, including 1.1 GW from offshore wind
- The United States surpassed China as the largest market in terms of new installations in 2012
- Europe lost its position as the largest world region in terms of new installations
- Wind installations in the Americas grew by 12.3 percent compared with 2011
- Big shake-up in the top ten wind turbine supplier ranking
- Strong Chinese presence among top 15 wind owner‐operators
- Wind market structures continue to evolve
- The penetration of wind power in the world’s electricity supply has reached 2.62 percent
- Offshore wind more than doubled the capacity added in 2011, with more than 4 GW currently under construction
With the addition of 44,951 MW in new installations in 2012, world wind power capacity grew to around 285,700 MW, an increase in the total wind power installation base of 18.6 percent. Market growth year-over-year in 2012, though a modest 7.8 percent, was still higher than in 2011. Average annual growth for the past five years has been 17.8 percent, achieved during the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis, with traditionally large markets for wind power in economic recession in America and Europe.