Internet access is increasingly important to hotel guests and a key consideration when planning their hotel stays. New research* commissioned by IHG reveals that:
- 43% of adults surveyed said that they would choose not to stay in a hotel that charged for internet.
- 23% of respondents said that free internet in rooms and throughout the hotel is the most important amenity when staying in a hotel for business, compared to 7% who chose room service.
- Travellers from China placed the most importance on online connectivity - with nearly half (47%) listing it as the most important thing to them when staying in a hotel for business, followed by those from Russia (26%), the US (23%) and India (22%).
- Travellers from the UK (18%) and the US (14%) both listed paying for internet as the second most annoying thing when staying at a hotel after noisy guests (22% and 24% respectively).
- Globally, more female respondents (14%) say free internet throughout the hotel is most important to them when staying for leisure, compared to 2% who listed having an in-room hairdryer.
IHG Rewards Club, formerly Priority Club Rewards, is the world's first and largest hotel loyalty programme, providing existing, industry-leading benefits including points that never expire, no blackout dates for Reward Nights, flight rewards, music downloads and free nights at any IHG hotel anywhere in the world.
From July, new benefits will include:
- free internet to all Elite status members from July 2013 and extending to all members during 2014;
- the ability to earn Elite status faster by staying in three or more of IHG's hotel brands;
- Reward Nights will count toward earning Elite status; and
- Platinum Elite members' "extra" nights will roll over toward maintaining their status in their next membership year
Booking directly with IHG provides guests with access to the best available rates through our 'Best Price Guarantee' and ensures they qualify to earn points for their IHG Rewards Club account.Visitors and guests can sign up free of charge for IHG Rewards Club and all its benefits on the spot at any IHG hotel and can find out more about the changes here. Notes to Editors: