A*STAR And Fujitsu Set Up First Centre Of Excellence To Build A Greener Singapore
SINGAPORE and TOKYO, March 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
The Centre leverages on high performance computing (HPC)-enabled R&D technologies based on real-world data to enhance Singapore ' s urban sustainability & create key innovations for industry development
1. Singapore's Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), and Fujitsu Limited (Fujitsu) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to explore the creation of the first Centre of Excellence (CoE) for Computational Social Science and Engineering in Singapore, to identify technological solutions and opportunities for sustainable urban development in key areas such as transportation management and energy efficiency with HPC-enabled technologies based on real-world data.
2. The Memorandum of Understanding was signed today at Fujitsu's Tokyo headquarters between Dr Raj. Thampuran, Managing Director, A*STAR, and Mr Kenji Ikegai, Corporate Senior Executive Vice President and Representative Director, Fujitsu, in the presence of Mr S. Iswaran, Singapore's Minister in Prime Minister's Office, Second Minister for Home Affairs, and Second Minister for Trade and Industry.3. Facing similar challenges and demands on infrastructure and energy usage, both Japan and Singapore need to develop long-term urban sustainability solutions to ensure high standards of living, ample work opportunities for the populace as well as quality economic growth. 4. The CoE will utilise data from various agencies in Singapore to derive an understanding of complex dynamics within the city and exploit the power of modelling and simulation to guide both critical decisions and implementation of solutions. This, in turn, will create greater efficiencies in resource usage and allocation as well as generate vital growth opportunities in new areas. Some potential areas are described below:
- Transportation Management: An efficient and sustainable transportation system demands the ability to monitor and understand the travel behaviour and dynamics of commuters, road users and network systems. The insight can be leveraged to optimise transport services, project future demand, identify tipping points and assess system performance.
- Energy Management: This involves analysis of the dynamics of energy supply and demand, such as using technology to track energy consumption while reducing wastage, and optimal energy management.
- Computational Social Systems: The development of computational systems and methods for near-to-real-time processing of social information such as the consumer behaviour and lifestyle of the populace to enhance public, business, healthcare and educational needs/services and communication for the sustainability for urban living.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV