When you become as big as Starbucks or Amazon or Apple, you have become bigger than one person, bigger than your shareholders and bigger than your brand. All of a sudden you represent a diverse workforce and customer base; how you treat these people matters internally as well as externally, both in the court of public opinion and as the zeitgeist evolves.
Gay rights matters now more than ever with the Supreme Court finally taking up the issue. "The people" should not have the right to vote on matters that directly impact the rights of others. That's the side I hope the justices come down on.
But, with this being said, I ask again: What is Tim Cook's stance on the issue?
Schultz and Bezos, both straight as far as we know, have made bold moves as leaders of public companies serving a wide set of customers. Cook, who, reportedly, is gay, has not, as far as I know, made public comments on being gay or on gay rights issues.How powerful would it be if one of the most powerful CEOs in the world took a stand like Schultz and Bezos have? You can argue that I have no right to prescribe activism for Tim Cook. I retort that if Tim Cook acts, he might save lives. He'll certainly help remove the stigma that gays and lesbians deal with -- every day -- in our society. And he -- as well as Apple -- will become a worthwhile part of the conversation at a time when the "debate" (it's just ludicrous that we accept calling it a "debate") is about to take its most historical turn. Follow @rocco_thestreet -- Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV