Intuit Inc. (Nasdaq: INTU) today issued its second of three season-to-date results for its fiscal year 2013 consumer tax offerings. From Jan. 30 through March 16, sales of TurboTax Online units increased 29 percent versus the comparable prior-year period. Total TurboTax federal units were up 26 percent in the same span.
Tax season typically begins in mid-January. This year, however, the Internal Revenue Service opened e-file Jan. 30, roughly two weeks later than usual. For the total season through March 16, total TurboTax federal units were flat year over year. “IRS data shows total returns are down 7 percent as of March 15,” said Dan Maurer, senior vice president and general manager of Intuit’s consumer group. “We’ve had strong growth since Jan. 30 and season-to-date we're taking share at retail, outperforming in mobile channels and maintaining our strong leadership position online. We’re looking forward to a strong end to the season. Millions of Americans still need to file their taxes.”
Intuit today also reiterated full-year Consumer Tax revenue growth guidance of 8 to 10 percent and company revenue growth guidance of 10 to 12 percent.
Season-to-date TurboTax Federal Unit Data
Season Through March 17, 2012
Season Through March 16, 2013
Jan. 30- March 16, 2013 Change Versus Comparable Prior-year Period
|Sub-total TurboTax Units||17,541,000||17,649,000||1%||26%|
|TurboTax Free File Alliance||831,000||698,000||-16%||21%|
| Total TurboTax
Note: Unit data through March 16, 2013.
The company will issue a third and final tax season update at the end of April.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV