Another company based out of San Francisco, Airbnb, which provides users with home-based lodging options instead of hotels has become a huge hit. It's a play off the collaborative consumption economy, in which users make do with what they already have, and squeeze additional benefits out of them.
Airbnb raised $117 million in a Series D financing in the latter part of 2012. In total, Airbnb has raised over $230 million, and some of those early investors, which include Sequoia, Andreessen Horowitz and others, will want a return on that investment.Though Airbnb is not public, it does have one public competitor that is close to its business model, though it's not exactly the same. HomeAway (AWAY), which operates an online marketplace for the vacation rental industry, has seen a surge in its share price this year. Its shares have gained more than 50% this year, far outpacing the broader Nasdaq.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV