Texas Research Institutions Conducted Over 8,200 Clinical Trials Of Medicines Since 1999
Report highlights illustrate the importance of clinical trials for new medicines to treat chronic disease:
- More than 110,000 new cancer cases will be diagnosed this year in the state and 37,000 Texans will die of the disease, according to the American Cancer Society. Biopharmaceutical companies and their local research collaborators, including the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center at the University of Texas and the Texas Tech University Health Science Center, are currently conducting more than 600 trials of new cancer medicines that are recruiting patients.
- Nearly 10 percent of the state's adults have been diagnosed with diabetes, which, in 2007, killed 5,105 diabetics in the Lone Star State. Currently, 92 clinical trials for diabetes are recruiting patients in Texas.
- More than 189,000 state patients died of heart disease in 2009 and 46,000 from fatal strokes. 49 heart disease and 15 stroke clinical trials are seeking Texas patients.
- About 833,000 Texas adults live with serious mental illness and about 288,000 children have significant mental health conditions, according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness. 96 clinical trials of new mental illness medicines are seeking patient participants in the Lone Star State.
- The state's asthma toll is more than one million adults and nearly 600,000 children. 29 clinical trials of new asthma treatments are active and recruiting patients at institutions, such as Alamo Clinical Research in Austin.
Through biotechnology, researchers are developing new ways to improve our ability to predict and even prevent disease, providing hope for future generations. Among the 914 clinical trials still recruiting patients in the state, there are trials of a genetically-modified vaccine to treat melanoma, a fusion protein to treat diabetic macular edema and a new antibody that targets lupus and various cancers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV