Rating Change #6
has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and attractive valuation levels. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, deteriorating net income and weak operating cash flow.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- GES's revenue growth trails the industry average of 27.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- GES's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.01 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, GES has a quick ratio of 1.72, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- 41.60% is the gross profit margin for GUESS INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of GES's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, GES's net profit margin of 9.23% compares favorably to the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and greatly underperformed compared to the Specialty Retail industry average. The net income has decreased by 24.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $95.87 million to $72.55 million.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $172.90 million or 19.41% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
Guess , Inc. designs, markets, distributes, and licenses lifestyle collections of contemporary apparel and accessories for men, women, and children that reflect the American lifestyle and European fashion sensibilities. The company has a P/E ratio of 12, below the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Guess has a market cap of $2.3 billion and is part of the services sector and retail industry. Shares are up 1.9% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
You can view the full
Guess Ratings Report
or get investment ideas from our
investment research center