Rating Change #9
Emergent BioSolutions Incorporated
has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, attractive valuation levels and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- EBS's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.14 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.84, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- EMERGENT BIOSOLUTIONS INC's earnings per share declined by 43.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, EMERGENT BIOSOLUTIONS INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.64 versus $0.60 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.72 versus $0.64).
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$41.99 million or 208.87% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, EMERGENT BIOSOLUTIONS INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
Emergent BioSolutions, Inc., a specialty pharmaceutical company, engages in the development, manufacture, and commercialization of vaccines and therapeutics for use in defense and commercial markets to healthcare providers and purchasers in the United States and internationally. The company has a P/E ratio of 22.3, above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Emergent BioSolutions has a market cap of $521.3 million and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. Shares are down 10.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
You can view the full
Emergent BioSolutions Ratings Report
or get investment ideas from our
investment research center