Other survey highlights include:
- Criteria used for determining NQDCP eligibility varied amongst categories, with job grade cited most often (28%), and salary and title coming in second (16.5%).
- General plan participation rates declined overall to 43.9%, but were highest (54.2%) for firms that offered both a company match and informally funded their plan liabilities.
- Of the 47 percent of companies providing a company match, most calculate according to a fixed percent, or to replace a lost 401(k) match.
- Informal funding continues to be a popular strategy for managing NQDCP asset-to-liabilities (58.9%), with companies primarily utilizing corporate-owned life insurance (44.3%) and mutual funds (40.5%).
- Rabbi trusts maintain their position as the top choice for a security vehicle, employed by 79.1% of all respondents.
- The vast majority of companies (92.9%) rely either exclusively or in part on a third-party recordkeeper to administer their NQDCPs.
MullinTBG is a Prudential Financial company and one of the nation’s largest providers of nonqualified executive benefits, with 820 customized plans and over $24 billion in total assets as of December 31, 2012, representing 79,000+ corporate executives. The firm is headquartered in Los Angeles (El Segundo) and has regional offices in Chicago, Dallas, Irvine, New York and Orlando. For more information, please go to
. MullinTBG Advisors is a Registered Investment Adviser and a subsidiary of MullinTBG, a Prudential Financial company. Insurance products offered through MullinTBG Insurance Agency Services, LLC (“MullinTBG”). Securities offered through M Holdings Securities, Inc., a Registered Broker/Dealer, Member FINRA/SIPC. MullinTBG and MullinTBG Advisors are owned and operated independently from M Holdings Securities, Inc. MullinTBG is a member of the M Financial Group, a financial services producer group of independently owned and managed Member Firms. M Financial provides product design and marketing assistance, but does not control the activities of its Member Firms, which are not required to offer financial service products designed or promoted by M Financial. M Financial does not issue insurance policies or financial service products to purchasers.
Prudential Retirement delivers retirement plan solutions for public, private, and non-profit organizations. Services include state-of-the-art record keeping, administrative services, investment management, comprehensive employee investment education and communications, and trustee services. With over 85 years of retirement expertise, Prudential Retirement helps meet the needs of over 3.6 million participants and annuitants. Prudential Retirement has $289.8 billion in retirement account values as of December 31, 2012.