SEASIDE HEIGHTS, N.J., March 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The impact of Hurricane Sandy still lingers for the 230 students in grades pre-K through 6 at Hugh J. Boyd Jr. Elementary School. The school building, located at 1200 Bay Boulevard, sustained severe flood damage from the storm, forcing students to attend classes at the regional high school. Students hope to return to the restored school for the start of the 2013-2014 school year.
The school's restoration will get a boost on Thursday ( March 28) when more than 160 employees from the Verizon Leadership Development Program, along with senior leaders from Verizon, participate in a day of volunteer work at the school, organized by Jersey Cares. Seaside Heights Mayor Williams Akers also will be on hand.
The volunteers will paint classrooms; remove weeds and plant flowers around the school; build new picnic tables to create an outdoor learning environment; paint planter murals and paint line games on the school's blacktop to be used during recess; and build new benches to be installed along the Seaside Heights boardwalk.
"Hurricane Sandy affected everyone in New Jersey in some way, and this project gives our employees a great chance to contribute their time and talents to getting Hugh J. Boyd Jr. Elementary School back into shape," said Jayne Mayer, director of employee engagement at the Verizon Foundation. "Through our partnership with Jersey Cares, Verizon is able to give its employees opportunities to support our communities."The volunteers are part of an elite group of newly hired college graduates at Verizon who were chosen to be part of the Verizon Leadership Development Program. The individuals represent the next generation of leaders for Verizon and are committed to being good corporate citizens and giving back to the communities that Verizon serves.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV