Nervous About Retirement? You're Not Alone
A new survey finds that, unlike some parts of the economy, worker confidence about retirement has not yet bounced back. According to its findings, nearly half of workers say they are not too confident or not at all confident in their ability to retire comfortably.
The 2013 Retirement Confidence Survey from the Employee Benefit Research Institute finds that workers are being more realistic when it comes to estimating how much money they need to save in anticipation of retirement. However, many respondents said that daily expenses and debt are preventing them from reaching their savings goals.
Retirement confidence near the record low
When asked how confident they are about their ability to retire comfortably, 28 percent said they are not at all confident. According to the EBRI, that's statistically the equivalent of the record low of 27 percent who said the same in 2011. In addition to those who were not at all confident, another 21 percent said they were feeling not too confident.
In terms of specific expenses, a significant percentage of workers cited concern with paying for the following aspects of retirement:
- Long-term care: 39 percent
- Medical expenses: 29 percent
- Daily living expenses: 16 percent
One worry of manyWorkers may be feeling uneasy about retirement, but it is not their biggest financial concern. Instead, 30 percent said job uncertainty is their most pressing financial concern, while 12 percent cited "making ends meet" as their top worry.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV