The Western Union Company (NYSE: WU), a leader in global payment services, today released findings from the Western Union® Payments Money Mindset Index, providing a revealing look at consumer migration to new bill payment technologies.
The survey found that consumer preference for online and mobile bill payments continues to grow, with 39 percent of consumers in the United States saying they will pay more bills online in 2013, and 12 percent intending to pay more bills by mobile phone.
Mobile adoption for urgent, same-day payments is also on the rise: 14 percent of consumers report that they will make an urgent payment via their mobile device in the next six months. Furthermore, 25 percent of consumers report that they will send fewer checks in the mail to pay their bills.
“Consumers are increasingly looking for new ways to manage their bills, which points to the need for continued innovation by service providers across the payments industry,” said David Shapiro, senior vice president, Payments, Western Union. “Less than one-third of payments occur via non-electronic channels, and consumers continue to use a mix of payment methods that provide enhanced choice, flexibility, control and convenience around their lifestyles and cash flow.”Bill Payment Landscape The Money Mindset Index also reveals the mix of channels consumers are using to pay their bills, as they continue to seek choice and flexibility in their payment options:
- 46.5 percent of bills are paid via a biller, bank or credit union website;
- 20.2 percent of bills are paid via mail;
- 19.6 percent of bills are paid via an automatic deduction or recurring payment;
- 8.7 percent of bills are paid in-person at a walk-in location;
- 3 percent of bills are paid via a landline phone; and
- 2 percent of bills are paid via mobile phone.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV