David Trainer: A Financial Sleuth In Search Of Corporate Secrets
As part of our Next Invest conference, Covestor’s Mike Tarsala recently spoke with David Trainer, Managing Partner at Novo Capital. Trainer is a financial sleuth who closely analyzes the longer 10-K corporate filings other investors tend to ignore. He is looking for signs of trouble not widely recognized by the broader market. He is author of Modern Tools for Valuation (Wiley Finance 2010).
Trainer says that SEC filings that companies submit offer far more detail to an investor than the daily tick-tock corporate news reported on CNBC and in the financial press. “That’s where the good data goes to hide,” he says. For example, Novo Capital recently made money for its clients after Trainer spotted signs of pension trouble at Delta.
He recommends that investors ask their financial managers if they are doing this kind of deep dive analysis to guide their trading decisions. A true investor, says Trainer, is focused on the "long-term cash yield of an asset.”
Covestor Ltd. is a registered investment advisor. Covestor licenses investment strategies from its Model Managers to establish investment models. The commentary here is provided as general and impersonal information and should not be construed as recommendations or advice. Information from Model Managers and third-party sources deemed to be reliable but not guaranteed. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Transaction histories for Covestor models available upon request. Additional important disclosures available at http://site.covestor.com/help/disclosures. For information about Covestor and its services, go to http://covestor.com or contact Covestor Client Services at (866) 825-3005, x703.The post David Trainer: a financial sleuth in search of corporate secrets appeared first on Smarter Investing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV