Financial Tips For First Time Job Holders
CHICAGO, March 23, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Congratulations! You just landed your first job! But before you blow your first paycheck on a night out with friends, check out these financial tips from Neena Vlamis, co-founder and President of A and N Mortgage Services, Inc.:
1. Max out your 401k , especially if your employer has a matching program. If the company does not offer one, call a financial planner and start an IRA. Vlamis recommends that once you leave the job, roll over the 401k instead of cashing it out to avoid taxes and penalties.
2. Emergency savings account: You cannot control the economy but you can control your finances. Be sure to have at least 12 months living expenses saved for emergencies. The market is constantly changing and this money may be needed in case of unemployment. The easiest way to do this is to automatically have 10 percent of a paycheck deposited into a savings account.
3. Charge cards: Credit card companies specifically target young adults, trying to lure them with high spending limits then hitting them with high interest rates and fees. Demonstrate your financial savvy and eschew multiple credit cards. Have one low interest card for emergencies but pay it off every month to save yourself money and stress.4. Living expenses: Keep your living expenses as low as possible and never spend more than you need. 5. Have a plan! Meet with a financial planner every six months to stay on track. "You can only rely on one person to plan your future – and that is yourself," Vlamis adds. Celebrating its 10 th anniversary, A and N Mortgage Services, Inc. is one of the top mortgage firms in Chicago, rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau for seven consecutive years and named one of the Top Ten Most Dependable Mortgage Brokers in Chicago Magazine in 2007. A and N is a hub for learning in the Chicagoland real estate community, dedicated to keeping Realtors informed and educated through free seminars and workshops led by industry experts. In addition to mortgage services for residential and one-to-four unit properties, A and N is a Credit Union Service Provider and offers businesses a Corporate Lending Program for employees.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV