The Festering Weakness
For example, once the Philadelphia Semiconductor Index (SOX) hit 430-ish in mid-February, I thought it had gone far enough. It then came down to tag the uptrend line and went on to make a higher high, and it's finally broken the uptrend line -- as you can see -- and has a potential head-and-shoulders top in place. If you review many of the individual stock charts in the semiconductor group, I am sure you'll see how many failed to make higher highs within the SOX in mid-March.
The number of stocks making new highs does matter. Over time, a decline in this statistic means lower highs, and that points to the formation of tops.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV