My simple plan for option traders is to figure out how many trades you can monitor at one time. Then subtract 20% of your capital as a cash cushion for emergency contingencies. The remaining 80% of your capital should be spread evenly into the number of positions you have. So if you choose to have 20 positions the margin for each one would use up 4% of your capital.
Sometimes it happens that all your capital is used up but there is a new opportunity that you would like to pursue. It makes sense to close out an old trade if it is profitable and has little profit left in it. For example we made an investment by selling the Phillips (PSX) April 55 puts. The option is now quoted at $0.05 bid and $0.10 asked. The margin is still $550 for this position. Using the $0.10 price tells us that there is less than 2% profit remaining in this trade. So it would make sense to close this trade if we found another that has a 10% return over a comparable period.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV