Garmin (GRMN) is a bit of an unlikely name on this list. While the other names are staid blue-chip stocks, Garmin's $6.4 billion market capitalization puts it squarely in mid-cap territory. Even so, the special opportunity in this stock is presenting a big buying opportunity for GRMN right now.
Garmin makes global positioning devices for cars, boats, planes and fitness enthusiasts. That exposure to all corners of the GPS market is significant -- and it's the sole differentiator that keeps Garmin head and shoulders above peers. It means that Garmin is able to pour R&D into big-ticket electronics (such as the $50,000 G1000 avionics suite for small planes) and then transition the tech to the more margin-sensitive consumer market. The result is net profit margins that consistently scrape up against the 20% mark.In spite of recent successes for Garmin -- namely the growth of its innovative fitness offerings in the last two years -- investors don't see how this stock can continue to perform at a high level. That's a big part of why GRMN is consistently one of the most heavily shorted mid-cap names on the Nasdaq. A spotless balance sheet with approximately $3 billion in cash and investment and no debt makes Garmin an exciting opportunity this year. As I write, the firm pays out a 5.43% dividend yield -- the biggest on this list.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV