It's been a crummy year for semiconductor giant Intel (INTC). Shares of the $104 billion chipmaker have slid more than 24% in the trailing 12 months, underperforming the S&P 500 by a broad clip. So why is this struggling stock making our list of must-own dividend names now? In short, it's getting ready for a change in trend.
Intel is the biggest name in the chip business, with around 80% of the microprocessor market. If you own a computer, there's a 4-in-5 chance that it's powered by an Intel chip. Intel's dominance in the chip business has been hard fought, but now that it's so established, the firm is going to be hard to unseat. Intel effectively owns the computer processor business, and while computers have become extremely commoditized in recent years, Intel's chips haven't.Mobile devices are the biggest path to growth for Intel at this point, in part because they get consumed so quickly and in part because they could steal share from the computer business. Intel's balance sheet is pristine, with around $12 billion in net cash and investments after all of its debt is accounted for. Better still, that steady downtrend in shares has shoved Intel's generous dividend yield to 4.28%. As semiconductors stage an about-face in 2013, Intel shareholders should benefit more than most.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV