Another warning that may be developing is stock-specific earnings misses:
In 12 Sell Downgrades Threaten Dow Transports I profiled hold-rated FedEx (FDX) ($96.50 vs. $109.07 on March 18). FDX reported quarterly results pre-market on March 20 and missed EPS estimates by 15 cents a share earning $1.23 per share. The stock maintains its hold rating and fell below my monthly value level, now a pivot at $96.86. The 200-day simple moving average is a key level to hold at $93.02.
Oracle earned the expected 63 cents per share for its fiscal third quarter, but missed the higher expectations I mentioned at 66 per share.The stock was up against a solid resistance at its May 2011 high at $36.50 with my monthly pivot, now a risky level at $35.61. ORCL still has a buy rating and is above its 200-day SMA at $31.97 and semiannual value level at $31.89. The stock is also between my annual value level at $30.81 and my annual pivot at $34.68. On Monday, I will evaluate some of the buy-rated stocks in the most overvalued consumer staples sector. On Tuesday, I will dissect the buy-dated stocks that underpin the Dow Industrial Average. Then on Wednesday, I will profile five stocks that report quarterly results on Thursday. At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @Suttmeier This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV