NEW YORK -- A special committee of Dell's (DELL) board is evaluating separate takeover bids for the world's No. 3 PC maker from Blackstone Group (BX) and Carl Icahn, according to reports over the weekend.
Founder Michael Dell and a group of investors, including private-equity firm Silver Lake, announced a $24.4 billion bid for the PC maker in February. Friday marked the end of a 45-day period that Dell's board set to allow for offers that might top that deal to take the company private.
Icahn has offered $15 a share for 58% of Dell, while Blackstone has proposed paying more than $14.25 a share, a source told Reuters. Michael Dell and the Silver Lake group had agreed to buy all of Dell for $13.65 a share.
Dell could make an announcement as soon as Monday about whether the rival offers might lead to a superior bid, the source told Reuters.
BlackBerry (BBRY) shares fell 7.7% to $14.91 on Friday, the day the company launched the BlackBerry Z10 smartphone in the U.S. Raymond James analyst Tavis McCourt said despite BlackBerry seeing some positive data on initial demand for the BlackBerry 10 platform, competition is increasing, and fast, from rivals Samsung, Apple (AAPL), HTC and Nokia (NOK). Apple Jumps, BlackBerry Bends: Tech Winners & Losers
Dollar General (DG), the discount retailer, is expected by analysts Monday to report fourth-quarter profit of 90 cents a share on revenue of $4.26 billion.
Apollo Group (APOL), the for-profit education company, is forecast by Wall Street to post on Monday fiscal second-quarter earnings of 18 cents a share on revenue of $822.8 million. 5 Stocks Ready to Break Out
Sonic (SONC), the drive-in restaurant chain, is expected to post fiscal second-quarter earnings of 5 cents a share on revenue of $112.7 million.
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV