UFCW Urges Senate To Focus On Jobs, Public Safety
HARRISBURG, Pa., March 21, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Wendell W. Young IV, President of UFCW Local 1776, urged the Senate to reject legislation to dismantle the LCB that was strong-armed through the House today and instead support bipartisan legislation designed to modernize the agency.
"There's no good reason to put 3,500 UFCW members on the unemployment line. There's no good reason to put 1,100 Main Street beer distributors out of business and jeopardize the livelihoods of the 12,000 men and women they employ – other than to make Tom Corbett's corporate cronies happy," said Young, who also serves as President of the UFCW PA Wine and Spirits Council.
"Gov. Corbett might get another helicopter ride or pleasure cruise on a yacht that his cronies will pay for. But thousands of working men and women will get nothing more than a pink slip."
The House's passage of House Bill 790 is not the end of this battle, Young said. He noted that House members ignored dozens of public health and safety groups opposed to privatization with their reckless vote, including the Centers for Disease Control, MADD, the Police Chiefs Association, and the Drug and Alcohol Service Providers Organization of Pennsylvania, among others."It's ironic that Tom Corbett got elected by promising to reform Harrisburg and create jobs. Instead, he buys off votes with projects and who knows what else and he strong arms lawmakers to put 17,000 people out of work," Young said. "Our unemployment rate is going up yet the national rate is dropping. This bill will make a bad situation worse." "The fight is not over yet. Common sense legislation has already been introduced in the Senate, as it has been in the past. These bills make sense for consumers – not special interests," Young said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV