Federal Budget Missed Opportunity For The Economy And Services
OTTAWA, March 21, 2013 /CNW/ - The union representing most federal government workers in Canada says that Federal Budget 2013 is a missed opportunity for the economy and services.
"We called on the government to recognize that austerity has hurt Canadians and the economy and that it's time to reverse cuts and invest in and restore federal government services," said PSAC national president Robyn Benson.
"Canadians across the country have lost services they rely on, and the job cuts in government are hurting economies big and small," she added.
Benson says PSAC is concerned that initiatives announced around online access to services may mean further cuts to frontline services that have been seen at Veterans Affairs, Immigration Canada, and Service Canada, for example.The government also commits to new initiatives aimed at curbing tax evasion and fraud, but doesn't commit to replacing the workers who've been handed surplus notices at the Canadian Revenue Agency. Since last year's budget, CRA has told 911 workers they could lose their jobs, including special investigators. This budget will likely further reduce CRA's workforce, and that doesn't fit with a commitment to catching tax evaders. Benson said she is troubled that instead of reinvesting in federal government services, the government has committed $1.5 billion over five years to P3 Canada, and might be considering privatizing the delivery of some Canadian social programs. "We've called on the government to abandon its pursuit of P3s because they are costly and unaccountable," said Benson. "We are especially alarmed that the government is considering privatizing services currently offered publicly, such as those for youth at risk, persons with disabilities and the homeless. No one should make a profit on the people who need these services."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV