Independent Forensic Analysis Confirms Partial Power Outage During Super Bowl Caused By Relay Device
NEW ORLEANS, March 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- An independent, third-party forensic analysis commissioned by Entergy New Orleans, SMG and the Louisiana Stadium and Exposition District to investigate the cause of the partial power outage during Super Bowl XLVII has confirmed that the cause of the outage was the "misoperation" of a relay device. The analysis was performed by Dr. John A. Palmer of Palmer Engineering & Forensics.
Highlighting what he characterizes as a "design defect" in the relay, Dr. Palmer's report states on page five, "Behavior of the device in a manner contrary to the published functionality of the device constitutes a design defect."
Dr. Palmer's report identifies the primary cause of the power disruption and three contributing factors. They are as follows:
- The cause of the outage was a misoperation of the relay.
- A contributing factor to the misoperation of the relay was the unstable operating condition of the relay around the set point of the subject relay, which was a design defect.
- A contributing factor to the outage was the inappropriate setting of the relay, which was the factory default setting.
- A contributing factor to the inappropriate setting was inadequate communication between the manufacturer and the utility.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV