Large-cap name Corning (GLW - Get Report) is another simple, safe name that appears to have assets that are being valued cheaply. The company trades for $12.85, has nearly $2 in net cash per share, and book value per share of $14.62. Corning is a producer of specialty glass and related materials that are used in many of today's fastest growing consumer products such as smartphones and televisions. Corning also yields nearly 3%.Small-cap name Sterling Construction (STRL - Get Report) is regrouping after a couple of bad quarters. The shares have remained resilient, however, because the company has avoided debt. The shares trade for just below $11 and there is nearly $3 in net cash per share against book value of $12.71. Sterling focuses on infrastructure work so its stands to benefit if the U.S. economy continues its lumpy recovery. Einstein commented that things should be made as simple as possible and no simpler. When you can find a business with good assets and a clean balance sheet, and whose stock is priced below the net value of those assets, that's a simple recipe for decent returns. At the time of publication, Gad had no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Cheap Is a Relative Term
Mar 23, 2013 | 10:30 AM EDT
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas