Soybeans Gain On Speculation Supplies May Tighten
By STEVE ROTHWELL
Soybeans advanced Thursday on speculation that U.S. supplies may tighten as Brazil struggles to ship its beans.
May soybeans rose 29.25 cents, or 2.1 percent, to $14.49 a bushel, gaining for the first day in eight.
The price of soybean contracts has been falling this month on expectations that Brazil will produce a strong crop this year. While the crop has met expectations, delays at ports in the South American country are leading buyers to look elsewhere."It looks like we've got some commercial buying in beans, that's helping to provide support," said Darin Newsom, a commodities analyst at DTN. In other agriculture trading, May wheat fell 7.25 cents, or 1 percent, to $7.2875 a bushel. Corn for delivery in the same month edged higher, gaining 0.5 cent to $7.33 a bushel. Trading in metals was mixed. Gold for April delivery rose $6.30 to $1,613.80 an ounce. Silver for May delivery rose 39.5 cents to $29.212 an ounce while copper for the same month declined 1.15 cents to $3.4350 a pound. Platinum for April delivery fell $2.40 to $1,580.10 an ounce. Palladium for June delivery fell $1.35, or 0.2 percent, to $756.85 an ounce. In energy trading benchmark oil for May delivery dropped $1.05 to finish at $92.45 a barrel, as the financial crisis in Cyprus overhung the market. Wholesale gasoline fell 5 cents to $3.07 a gallon. Heating oil rose less than a cent to $2.90 a gallon. Natural gas fell 2.5 cents to $3.935 per 1,000 cubic feet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV