BOISE, Idaho, March 21, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Micron Technology, Inc., (Nasdaq:MU) today announced results of operations for its second quarter of fiscal 2013, which ended February 28, 2013. For the second quarter, the company had a net loss attributable to Micron shareholders of $286 million, or $0.28 per diluted share, on net sales of $2.1 billion. The results for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 compare to a net loss of $275 million, or $0.27 per diluted share, on net sales of $1.8 billion for the first quarter of fiscal 2013, and a net loss of $282 million, or $0.29 per diluted share, on net sales of $2.0 billion for the second quarter of fiscal 2012.
Results of operations for the second quarter of fiscal 2013 include losses of $120 million from changes in the market value of the company's currency hedges entered into in connection with its planned acquisition of Elpida Memory, Inc. and Rexchip Electronics Corporation. The results also include a loss of $62 million associated with the expected sale of the company's 200 millimeter wafer fabrication facility in Avezzano, Italy, in the first half of calendar 2013.
The company's consolidated gross margin improved to 18 percent in the second quarter of fiscal 2013 compared to 12 percent in the first quarter of fiscal 2013. Gross margin improvements were realized from sales of NAND Flash products and from sales of DRAM products due to decreases in manufacturing costs."We were pleased with the overall improvement in our operational performance and excited to see the effects of our restructured partnership with Inotera drive bit shipment growth during the quarter. We believe the resultant increase in capacity from existing industry production will provide us the scale we need to reinforce our leadership position," said Micron CEO Mark Durcan.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV