NORTHBROOK, Ill., March 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As part of National Flood Safety Awareness Week and in advance of the spring storm season, a survey commissioned by Allstate Insurance Company shows Americans may not be as familiar with their insurance policy as they should be, and therefore may have misconceptions that they have flood coverage when they don't.
The survey of residents with homeowners and renters insurance from various companies shows 44% of Americans believe they are covered for weather-related floods. But when asked whether they actually have a flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), only 15% admit to having specifically purchased a supplemental flood policy.
"Results indicate that there is a knowledge gap among some Americans who believe they are covered in the case of flood, but in actuality, are not covered," said Mark Green, senior vice president, Allstate. "Unfortunately, we have seen this scenario play out following a number of major disasters. Some people believe flood is part of their standard homeowner policy and sadly, don't realize they need a separate flood policy until it's too late."Flood insurance is offered through the federal government's National Flood Insurance Program and policies are sold and managed by private insurance companies like Allstate. Allstate reminds Americans that now is the time to prepare for floods and consider their flood insurance needs. Floods are the #1 natural disaster in the United States. The average flood loss cost is $30,000 for homeowners and $75,000 on commercial property according to the NFIP. Add to that the fact that floods can happen anywhere and in all 50 states. Nearly 20% of flood claims come from moderate to low-risk flood zones. Besides educating yourself on flood, Allstate recommends reading through your insurance policy and if you have questions about coverage call an insurance agent. Here are a few other things property owners can do to help prepare, courtesy of the Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety:
- Keep drains, gutters and downspouts clear of debris.
- Prepare an evacuation plan with a kit that includes insurance documents, medications and critical items in case you need to leave your home for a few days.
- Inspect sump pumps and drains regularly to ensure proper operation.
- Have a licensed electrician raise electric components at least 12 inches above the expected flood levels for your area.
- To prevent sewage backup, have a licensed plumber install an interior or exterior backflow valve. Make sure your yard's grading (slope) directs water away from the building.
- Have the installation of your furnace, water heater and other permanent equipment modified so that they are elevated above the expected flood levels for your area.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV