Worthington Fiscal 3Q Profit Jumps 43 Pct.
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) â¿¿ Worthington Industries Inc.'s said Thursday that fiscal third-quarter earnings jumped 43 percent, as acquisitions helped the metal manufacturer's revenue, and a drop in restructuring charges and joint venture transactions improved profitability.
The Columbus, Ohio, company earned $37.1 million, or 52 cents per share, in the three months that ended Feb. 28. That compares to $25.9 million, or 37 cents per share, in last year's quarter. Revenue climbed 1 percent to $619.5 million.
Analysts expected 47 cents per share on revenue of $650 million, according to FactSet.
Worthington makes pressure cylinders like oxygen, helium and scuba tanks. It also makes custom-engineered open and enclosed cabs and operator stations for heavy mobile equipment.The company said an increase in volume helped revenue climb, but that was partially offset by lower average selling prices, mostly in steel processing. Acquisitions and a more favorable product mix in pressure cylinders helped profitability improve. Joint venture transaction expenses dropped to $253,000 from $1.8 million, and restructuring charges also fell. Worthington shares rose 18 cents to $29.48 in afternoon trading, after hitting a 52-week high of $30 earlier in the session. Broader trading indexes fell slightly. Worthington shares have climbed 13 percent so far this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV