RI's Unemployment Rate Falls To 9.4 Percent
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) â¿¿ Rhode Island's unemployment rate fell sharply last month to its lowest level since December 2008, but the state lost thousands of jobs.
The Department of Labor and Training said Thursday that February's jobless rate was 9.4 percent, down from 9.8 percent the month before. The number of employed residents was up by 1,300, to 508,200.
But the number of Rhode Island-based jobs was 465,500, a loss of 2,600 from revised January estimates. Over half of the lost positions were in the accommodation and food services sector.
The size of the labor force was also down 600, to 561,200, in February.The U.S. jobless rate in February was 7.7 percent. In January, Rhode Island was tied with California for having the highest unemployment rate in the country.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV