Occidental Petroleum (OXY), which made our list of the most popular energy stocks among hedge funds, was a 590,000-share Chilton holding as of Dec. 31. With trailing and forward P/Es of 15x and 11x, respectively, Occidental is actually valued at a premium to some oil majors. Earnings were down sharply last quarter from the prior year, and while analysts expect the company to recover, we think investors should at least compare the stock with its peers.
Finally, Chilton and his team owned about 440,000 shares of Agrium (AGU) at the end of the year --though the firm has cut their stake by 51%. Activist fund Jana Partners has been urging Agrium to split its wholesale and retailer businesses -- the company sells agricultural products, including fertilizers and crop-protection products, through both channels -- against resistance from Agrium. The stock currently carries a trailing P/E of 11x. Earnings rose sharply in the company's most recent quarter, but that growth rate is not sustainable, given its much weaker improvements in sales.
-- Written by Matt Doiron
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV