MCLEAN, Va., March 21, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Lightbridge Corporation (Nasdaq:LTBR) today announced that an independent analysis by Pace Global, a Siemens (NYSE:SI) business, confirms the Company's patented metallic fuel design has superior non-proliferation benefits compared to current nuclear fuels.
According to the report , the reasons for the superior non-proliferation benefits include:
- "The amount of residual plutonium [at the end of the fuel's useful life] is significantly smaller in the Lightbridge designs" and there are "large fractions of neutron [absorbing elements] in Lightbridge metallic fuel" that would poison an attempt to make an explosive device from the material;
- Any attempt to reprocess spent Lightbridge fuel would require "additional complex chemical processing of the metallic portion of the fuel," and "it is believed no industrial-scale process has been developed for this purpose;"
- "Current U.S. reactor fuels and the proposed Lightbridge design are all classified as LEU (low enriched uranium)" that "cannot be used directly for the construction of nuclear weapons." "If a diverter had the necessary access to enrichment facilities, it would actually be more efficient and stealthy for the [diverter] to process natural uranium to the highly enriched state," as opposed to processing LEU.
"We are pleased by this independent confirmation of the fuel's significant non-proliferation benefits and by the steady achievement of technical milestones on the way to regulatory approval and commercialization of our fuel," said Seth Grae, Lightbridge President and CEO.A December 2012 Pace Global analysis of Lightbridge fuel concluded that "Lightbridge's metallic fuel can deliver significantly improved economics to nuclear utilities from increased power output and extended fuel cycles, resulting in highly attractive returns on invested capital, even with conservative assumptions on reactor conversion and regulatory licensing costs, and fuel technology licensing fees paid to Lightbridge," Grae added.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV