NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What's happening in small business today?
1. Health care law uncertainty grips small businesses. Small-business owners are anxiously waiting for regulators to finalize rules that would finally shape the three-year-old Affordable Care Act. Several major pieces of the health care reform, such as the state-run exchanges, have yet to be implemented, while other rules have yet to be written, leaving companies in the dark about what will be required of them, despite enactment set for next year.
"Consequently, the picture remains anything but clear for small-business owners, some of whom have been warned that their premiums may spike and that their current coverage may fall short," according to The Washington Post.
In some cases, the unknown changes as a result of the health care law are hampering growth. For example, Jody Manor, owner of Bittersweet Catering, Café and Bakery in Old Town, Alexandria, is contemplating expansion, but with 45 employees already, a second location would make him subject to new minimum requirement rules by the law. Manor is waiting to see the price tag on the mandate before making a decision."These changes are less than a year away, and I still have no information about how much our premiums are going to cost," Manor told The Washington Post. "It definitely gives me pause when thinking about adding another location." 2. Helping small businesses hire better employees. Intuit (INTU) and LinkedIn (LNKD) have teamed up to present "Hire Smart Small Business Event," a one-day event on April 27 that will teach business owners how to hire the best employees for the work they need. The free event, held at Intuit's Mountain View, Calif. campus will offer guest speakers, expert advisers and free resources to assist new and growing businesses. Guest speakers include author and "Apprentice" winner Bill Rancic and USA Today columnist and small business expert Rhonda Abrams. The companies are offering attendees discounts on products and services to help with hiring, such as three-months free of Intuit Online Payroll and discounts on LinkedIn's "First Hire" package of talent finding sources and job listings, a total value of more than $400. Register on HireSmartNow for the event, which will also be streamed live for those unable to attend in person.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV