March Madness: Duke To Win It All
The word is out. Duke will emerge as the winner of the NCAA basketball tournament. How do we know? Your pets told us.
In an analysis that has nothing to do with March Madness rankings, a team's won-loss record or soothsaying sportscasters, a pet insurance company looked at its database of nearly half a million pets it covers nationwide and discovered that "Duke" is by far the most favorite name chosen by owners.
So, if you're searching for something to boost your basketball mojo or for fresh angles when filling out your brackets, you might want to consider Veterinary Pet Insurance's (VPI) findings. Duke, the No. 2 seed in the tourney's Midwest region, shares its moniker with 1,336 pets insured by VPI, according to spokesperson Adam Fell.
"George," which is close enough to be connected with Georgetown (sitting in the No. 2 seeding in the South region), came in second, with 567 owners calling their dogs, cats, hamsters, birds, snakes or other animals by the name.Here's the full VPI list, with names either loosely reflecting the name of the participating college or university or its team name: Duke; 1,336 -- Duke George; 567 -- Georgetown Tiger; 490 -- Memphis, Missouri, Pacific Louis; 222 -- Louisville, St. Louis Buck; 134 -- Bucknell Cowboy; 101 -- Oklahoma State Rebel; 96 -- UNLV, Ole Miss Gator; 73 -- Florida Bruin; 58 -- Belmont, UCLA Grizzly; 52 -- Montana Lobo; 45 -- New Mexico Buckeye; 41 -- Ohio State Badger; 41- - Wisconsin Jay; 34 - - Creighton Cal; 23 -- California Carolina; 23 -- North Carolina, North Carolina State Spartan; 22 -- Michigan State Panther; 18 -- Pittsburgh Irish; 17 -- Notre Dame Hoosier; 15 -- Indiana Crimson; 11 -- Harvard Hurricane; 10 -- Miami Kansas; 10 -- Kansas State, Kansas Aggie; 44 -- New Mexico State, North Carolina A&T
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV