NEW YORK (TheStreet) - YouTube has changed the way the world watches videos leading Google (GOOG) to announce that the website is attracting more than one billion unique users each month. That's quite a milestone.
YouTube's one billion monthly unique users translates into nearly half of all people that use the Internet each month visiting Google's video portal. Looking at this another way, YouTube's monthly viewership is equal to ten Super Bowl audiences.
My favorite statistic from today's blog posting is that if YouTube were a country it would actually be the third largest by population after China and India.
YouTube, now eight years old (it began life on Valentine's Day, 2005), was originally an invention of three former PayPal employees. These days PayPal is owned by eBay (EBAY). YouTube site uses HTML5 and Adobe (ADBE) Flash technologies to stream thousands of videos every day. Content now ranges from movie clips and music videos to homemade rants, raves and personal videos created and uploaded by users.To appreciate TouTube's reach, Google boasts that every company listed in Ad Age Magazine's Top 100 brands now run advertising campaigns on the video website. YouTube was purchased by Google in 2006 for $1.65 billion and is currently available on multiple computing and mobile platforms (including set-top TV boxes) in 54 languages. Google was slipping 0.3 percent to $812.50 by mid-afternoon. Shares have gained 27% in the past 12 months. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV