HOPKINTON, Mass., March 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- EMC Corporation (NYSE:EMC) today announced that Mediaprint, the largest newspaper and magazine publisher in Austria, has transformed its IT infrastructure with EMC® VNX® unified storage, EMC VPLEX® Metro virtual storage and VMware virtualization solutions. The EMC and VMware solutions have enabled Mediaprint to increase application performance by 300%, achieve five-nines availability for critical publishing, editorial and production systems, as well as accelerate virtualization of its IT infrastructure.
- Accelerated Virtualization — Tight integration between VNX and VMware provided Mediaprint with the performance and availability to quickly advance its virtualization strategy and increase the number of virtual machines by 8X in only 18 months.
- Improved Application Availability — By running applications simultaneously across two data centers with VPLEX, Mediaprint achieved five-nines availability for its critical SAP and Oracle applications.
- Increased Performance — Leveraging a FLASH 1 st strategy, Mediaprint improved response times for SAP by 300% and increased performance of its Oracle data warehouse by 500%, ensuring timely delivery of news stories.
Customer Challenges and Solution:Following years of business growth, Mediaprint had expanded its infrastructure to the point where its servers and storage environment reached capacity limits. The productivity of editorial, advertising and business users was being affected by slower application performance. In addition, the sprawling infrastructure was difficult to manage and exposed Mediaprint to the risk of losing editorial content should a data center outage occur. To address these challenges, Mediaprint selected EMC VNX and VPLEX Metro solutions to consolidate three data centers down to two. VNX provides Mediaprint with a FLASH 1 st automated storage tiering strategy that leverages the EMC FAST™ Suite to substantially improve performance and lower TCO, while VPLEX Metro allows resources to be used simultaneously in an active-active mode across both data centers that are 26 kilometers (16.16 miles) apart. The EMC solution supports all of Mediaprint's critical SAP advertising management applications, as well as Oracle databases running its editorial and logistics systems. Leveraging EMC storage and VMware vSphere solutions, Mediaprint has fully virtualized its critical SAP applications and is rapidly virtualizing the rest of its infrastructure, including Oracle databases. The company also relies on VMware vMotion for migration of virtual machines (VMs) between its two data centers. Since implementing VNX, VPLEX and VMware, Mediaprint has achieved much faster application response times for its users, simplified IT administration and increased application availability.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV