Information comes out instantly, with millions of people getting their information as it's happening. While that may not be driving the billions in revenue Facebook or Google is seeing from advertising, it's an invaluable service, no doubt. Twitter is clearly the global town square, earning plaudits for its role in the revolutions in Egypt. The social network also plays a key role in getting news and financial information out instantly.
The company, led by CEO Dick Costolo, has become such an important source of information and potential, that Google was rumored to be in talks to acquire the company for roughly $8 billion, but nothing happened. Recent valuation reports have put Twitter's worth near $10 billion, which would make it one of the largest technology companies in the world.
Twitter has had such a profound impact on society, that when the service goes down, people make jokes about what we did in the pre-Twitter era. Heck, astronauts are even tweeting from space. That kind of service is invaluable, and potentially, wildly profitable.
Twitter has become so much more than an app or a Web site to many people. It's the way we communicate with loved ones across the seas, or people we've never met before. It's shaped the lives of humanity in such a profound way, that we don't know what we would do without it.#HappybirthdayTwitter, and hopefully many, many more to come. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV