NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Today is Twitter's seventh birthday, and in seven years, the micro-blogging social network has changed the world for the better.
The San Francisco-based announced on its blog that today is the anniversary of founder Jack Dorsey's first tweet, and it's been nothing but upshot ever since. Since 2006, Twitter has racked up over 200 million active users, who send out over 400 million tweets every day.
Social media has shaped our lives tremendously, with more good than harm being done in the process. Facebook (FB), the world's largest social network with over 1 billion users, was the largest tech IPO in history, raising more than $16 billion in the process.
Google's (GOOG) YouTube announced Thursday that it has surpassed 1 billion monthly unique users. Not only is that providing value to the lives of consumers, but it's big business for Google as well. On its fourth-quarter earnings call, Google said viewers are watching 4 billion hours of video a month, and that's translating to advertising revenue, with advertisers increasing their spend 50% from 2011 to 2012. The top 25 advertisers now spend over $150 million each per year on YouTube, helping Google's move to mobile.Though Twitter is not a public company (TheStreet has predicted Twitter will file documents to go public later this year), it's thought the company is doing around $250 million in annual revenue, as it reshapes the news industry. In mid-2012, Twitter said it "expects to generate at least $1 billion in sales in 2014."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV