H&M Releases Its 2012 Sustainability Report
For the second year in a row H&M is the biggest user of certified organic cotton in the world. As well as making major investments in Better Cotton, we plan to further increase our use of organic cotton and gradually increase our use of recycled cotton. We are currently on track to use only sustainable cotton, with 11.4% of our cotton now coming from these sources.
"Being one of the biggest fashion companies puts high demand on our sustainability work and we take this responsibility seriously. There are a number of things that stand out such as being the biggest user of organic cotton in the world, being the first fashion retailer to launch a garment recycling initiative globally and promoting transparency by disclosing our supplier factory list," says Helena Helmersson, Head of Sustainability at H&M.
Key figures from our Conscious Actions Sustainability Report 2012
- 11.4% of cotton used came from more sustainable sources (7.8% certified organic cotton, 3.6% Better Cotton).
- Around 150,000 cotton farmers were trained on better farming techniques through the Better Cotton Initiative.
- The use of recycled polyester was equivalent to 7.9 million plastic bottles.
- 450 million liters of water were saved in the production of denim and other water- intense products by applying water-saving production techniques.
- 74% of our managers and 50% of the board members are women.
- We reduced electricity use in our stores by 15% per square meter compared to 2007, targeting 20% reductions by 2020.
- 570,821 garment workers in Bangladesh received training on their rights, through short films, since 2008.
- More than 100,000 workers and middle managers in H&M supplier factories received additional training on fire safety.
- The compliance with the H&M Code of Conduct amongst the supplier factories continued to improve, with sustainability performance scores (ICoC) increasing from 79.3% ( Dec. 2011) to 81.7% ( November 2012).
- H&M invested about SEK 42 million (approx. USD 6.3 million / EUR 5 million) into communities in India and Bangladesh as well as the H&M Conscious Foundation.
This Thursday on March 21, H&M will also launch their Conscious Collection made from organic cotton, biodegradable Tencel fabric and recycled polyester – bringing eco-friendly glamorous styles for men, women, and children in all stores. The pieces are a part of a collection full of optimism for Spring – with romantic styles alongside sporty shapes and tropical prints. On April 4, they will launch their Conscious Exclusive collection in around 140 stores worldwide. The Conscious Exclusive collection is a party wear collection for women and men also made from more sustainable materials. For more information on these collections please go to:
- Conscious Collection, http://hmfashionmediaupdate.com/2013/03/vanessa-paradis-2/
- Exclusive Conscious Collection, http://hmfashionmediaupdate.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f86b9c870448ece6e6b45e725&id=ada015f6cd&e=4ea2477d57
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV