Health Canada's Food Directorate Approves Monk Fruit Sweeteners For Use In Canada
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif., March 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Health Canada's Food Directorate has completed a detailed evaluation and has approved use of monk fruit extract, also known as luo han guo extract, as a sweetener at a maximum level of use of 0.8% in table top sweeteners. The assessment also concluded that the available scientific data supported the safety and efficacy of monk fruit extract when used under the proposed guidelines. As such, monk fruit extract will be added to the List of Permitted Sweeteners in Canada.
"We are pleased that Health Canada has allowed use of monk fruit as a natural sweetener," said Chris Tower, President of LAYN USA, Inc. "It serves to further validate the regulatory work LAYN has carried out over a 10 year period in substantiating the safety and effectiveness of monk fruit extracts, as evidenced in LAYN's pivotal GRAS affirmation."
LAYN's Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) affirmation was accepted in 2011 under the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) GRAS Notice Inventory, GRN No. 359. LAYN's dossier is referenced in Health Canada's Consultation Document.
Monk fruit extracts are becoming increasingly popular as a superior tasting, natural, zero-calorie, high-intensity sweetener. LAYN USA, Inc., a division of Guilin LAYN Natural Ingredients Corp., markets a successful monk fruit extract line under the Go-Luo ® brand, derived from the Chinese name of the fruit "Luo Han Guo".LAYN is a pioneer in the development and manufacture of natural sweeteners with over 15 years of experience in both stevia and monk fruit natural sweeteners. LAYN manages traceability for the entire value chain where it controls its proprietary seedlings, cultivates the monk fruit and produces the final sweetener. LAYN's state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities are certified GMP and capable of large-scale production.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV